Overview and Policies
The Campus Transit System has a limited number of buses available for charter service. Buses are available to support the University of Georgia student community for trips that serve the university’s mission.
Requests for standard charter service to transport students to scheduled university-sponsored events within Athens-Clarke County can be scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis. Nonstandard requests are those requiring transportation of persons other than UGA students, trips requiring travel outside of Athens-Clarke County, or trips that do not have an obvious or clear connection to the university’s educational mission. Nonstandard charters will have higher fees due to unrelated business income and associated additional overhead and taxes. Nonstandard requests require the approval of Campus Transit’s Director.
- Buses are available contingent upon the demands of the regular service schedule and existing charter commitments.
- Campus Transit buses must remain within a 70-mile radius of Athens. Buses cannot leave the state nor can they remain at a destination overnight.
- One University faculty or staff member must accompany and supervise riders on each bus requested.
- No open containers of food or beverage are allowed on the buses. Law prohibits smoking on a bus. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed on the University buses.
Charter Bus Rates & Charges
- The charter service rate is $90.00 per hour per bus which covers the use of the bus, a driver and fuel. The time charged includes these items:
- Reasonable pre-trip preparation time, generally one-half hour prior to the scheduled loading time for campus pick-up points.
- The total trip time the bus is in use including layover time at the destination. The minimum trip time charged is two hours
- Reasonable post-trip time, generally one-half hour, to return the bus to the Campus Transit Facility for cleaning and refueling.
- Additional charges (at actual cost) will be applied for any expenses such as parking fees or tolls.
- Charges will be made to the chartering department for buses returned in excessively dirty condition for additional cleaning at the current hourly rate.
- Groups requesting charter bus service must supply a valid University department account number, to be charged for services provided.
- Upon completion of the trip, the group leader must verify his or her release time with a signature on the Charter Order.
- Late Booking Surcharge – Effective 10/1/2016 - charter requests are made less than ten (10) working days prior to the desired departure date, will incur a surcharge of $100.
- Canceling Buses - Buses may be canceled during normal office hours (8 to 5 Monday - Friday excluding holidays) up to two (2) business days before the scheduled charter to avoid cancellation charges. A cancellation charge of $180.00 per bus may be assessed for buses that are canceled late. Call the Campus Transit office at (706) 369-5838 to cancel a scheduled charter bus.
- Labor Only - Campus Transit offers professional drivers to operate University-owned cars or vans for special purposes. Our current rate is $50 per hour with a two hour minimum charge per driver. Use the Bus Request form linked below to make a request for "Driver Only" services.
Request a Charter
- Charter service requests may be made by using our online form.
- A completed request be received at least ten (10) working days prior to the desired departure date.
- Charters are confirmed via email upon receipt of your final bus count and completed itinerary.